About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Predators On Facebook Tough To Track - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

Predators On Facebook Tough To Track - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City: "KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Your child could be talking to a sexual predator on Facebook and not even know it. Thursday, February 18, 2010."

Just watched this on the television... more ridiculous scare mongering from self-important local news personalities. To be fair, the advice was good, such as "Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in real life." and the tips for parents.


However, they lost me with the bits about the sex offenders and the lack of police manpower and time to check them all was completely glossed over. They ignored the fact that the list is so polluted with people who have no business being there, that the police may miss the real threats.


In the end, it was irrational fear mongering in the name of ratings without any real perspective on the level of danger.
But that's what I expected to find, so that's what I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment