About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Legit Sore

Yesterday was the first time I can recall my quads being actually sore from cycling.  I've had that day-after burn from running and strength training (squats, deadlifts, etc), but never from cycling... until yesterday.  The workout was Spruce Knob, and consists of two thirty minute intervals separated by a 6 minute recovery interval.  All this at 85% FTP.  In other words, it's a tough one.  A lot of time is spent very near threshold power, and there's not a ton of relative recovery time between efforts.

I've done multiple centuries in the Kansas heat.  I've done the 120 mile Triple Bypass in Colorado three times (well, I actually finished it twice).  I've done all-out nothing-left-behind time trials and end-of-long-ride sprints.  None of those have me lingering muscle soreness.  The left me totally cooked, but not sore.

I'm going to read that as a sign that TrainerRoad is working.  Those workouts are the cause of this soreness, after all.  The weekend high intensity workouts prescribed in my Sustained Power Build plan are... well... intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment