About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Friday, August 17, 2018

2019 Canyon Utimate S / 2004 Torelli Scappa 55cm Geometry Comparison

Out of curiosity, I did some comparisons between my current bike, a 2004 55cm Torelli Scappa built out with various parts with what I'm eyeballing as the replacement, a stock Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Movistar.

Torelli

Canyon Ultimate


I plugged my numbers into the Canyon sizing wizard (Their Perfect Position System), and they spit out a "Small" as the frame size for me. I thought that was curious - I'd always felt (note that I'd "felt", not "known") myself to be more of a Medium kind of guy. So I compared the Ultimate Small geometry and sizing to my Torelli...


ComponentCanyon Ultimate
 CF SLX 9 Small
<=>Torelli
(55cm)
Adjustable on
Stock Canyon
Rider Height (cm)172-178N/A177No
Saddle Height (mm)690-790N/A770Yes
Seat tube length494<590No
Top tube length543<550No
Head tube length130<151No
Head tube angle72.3°?UnmeasuredNo
Seat tube angle73.8°?UnmeasuredNo
Chainstay length415>397No
Wheel base993>988No
Stack546<570No
Reach385>375No
Spacer27.2>0Yes
Stem length90<110No
Handlebar width390<420No
Crank length170<172.5No
Seat post diameter27.2==27.2No
Seat post length350N/AUnmeasuredYes
Wheel size700c==700cNo

The Torelli is larger in a number of nonadjustable ways, most notably tube lengths, and stack.

However, the Small Canyon Ultimate frame has a longer chainstay length, a longer reach, a longer wheelbase, and will be closer overall to the ground. Based on my limited experience and understanding, those will have more impact in terms of fit and handling.

I didn't measure the angles, but the Torelli appears to be generally more "compressed" with its shorter wheelbase.  I'd bet that the angles are more open - closer to 90°.  Relative to the wheel base, this may make the center of gravity higher.

Other measurements where the Torelli is bigger, such as the handlebar width and crank length aren't intrinsic to the frame, and are ultimately adjustable if I want to move away from the stock Canyon Ultimate and spend the money.  I'm not really factoring those in.

I believe the Torelli will prove to be more twitchy and responsive than the Canyon, but less stable.  I anticipate cornering will require a little more effort with the Canyon, while maintaining my line will be slightly easier.  This may explain why going no-hands was always a little tough on the Torelli.  It was possible, but it never felt quite comfortable...

I'd like to take a photo of the Torelli and overlay it on top of the Canyon Ultimate to get a visual idea of how the measurements above look.  I'll give it a shot and see how that goes.  My photo manipulation skillz, never great, are nowhere near what they used to be.  I gave it a shot (no pun intended), and it didn't work out.  I'll just have to get the angles the old fashioned way.

At the end of the day I don't know what I'm talking about.  So I'm inclined, based on what I see and the understanding that the Canyon folk have a lot more experience, to go with their recommendation.  Not that I wouldn't have, mind you, I just wanted to see how the Ultimate compared to the Torelli.

No comments:

Post a Comment