About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Clavicle Break: The Event (June 23, 2018)

As a followup to my previous post... this time with more cowbell...

I broke my collar bone during a ride called The Tour de Lakes in Lees Summit, Missouri, at about 10:10 AM on 6/23.  I was going too fast in the aero bars down a hill that ended in a blind curve.  Unable to make the curve, I exited the pavement and hit the deck among the broken pavement, rocks, and trees.


Passing riders saw me within 2 minutes, assessed me, and called Ride Assistance (we had the number on all our wrist bands).  Within 14 minutes, the paramedics had arrived, and within 17, the ambulance had arrived.  While on site, my blood pressure dropped to 60/48, but other than that, I was awake, aware, and had no indication of head trauma.
Clavicle Break X-Ray
Complete, but clean clavicle break

In terms of obvious injuries, my left arm above my elbow was on fire, my left shoulder was in serious distress, and there were several areas around my chest that hurt.  Something had happened to my arm - they were talking about blood pooling on the pavement.  I asked if it was arterial, and they told me I was fine.  My collar bone was definitely broken or dislocated, though apparently not obviously to even the trained eye, and it felt like I'd done some ribs as well.

While they were looking me over and prepping me for the trip to the ER, I recall making several comments about not leaving my bike behind.  I also remember looking it over as much as I was able, and confirming that at least the wheels weren't taco'd.

I was in the ER for about 5 hours while they gave me morphine, took X-Rays, cleaned and stitched my arm.  The clavicle was definitely broken, and the arm required 11 stitches, 7 external and 4 internal.  Something I hit in the tumbling tore an inch square hole in my arm down to the subcutaneous fat.  My Mother asked if she was looking at bone - fortunately, she was not.

Left Arm Laceration
Severe laceration/trench caused by unknown road debris

My wife and 5 year old son came to the hospital to see me and take me home.  I was really hoping my son wouldn't see me in this condition, but there wasn't much I could do about it.  He was witness to me in pretty severe pain, and got a close look at the bloody dirty hole in my arm.  He kept it together, though, with a lot of assurances from my wife, myself, and the staff that I would be perfectly OK - it would just take some time.

Most of the time was spent waiting, which shouldn't come as any surprise.  After they released me, it was straight home and to the recliner.  I got up only to use the restroom and take off my jersey.  Amazingly, we were able to get it off without cutting it off, and even more amazingly, it was completely intact!  All that damage to me, and somehow my jersey didn't get ripped up!

<-- Original Post | Series | Week One -->

No comments:

Post a Comment