About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Clavicle Break: Week 8 (August 11, 2018 - August 17, 2018)

Pain Level: 1 to 2, occasional ibuprofen.
Discomfort: 4 to 10
Attire: Normal.
Sleeping: Bed.
Nutrition: Weight loss caloric intake, with supplements geared towards bone regrowth.
Mobility: Getting around normally, but still being careful.
Physical Therapy: 5lb range of motion exercises.

Work continued as normal.  It's basically a desk job, so there isn't much physical strain to be had.  The most physical stress I put on myself this week was moving a monitor from one room to another.  I don't think that was overdoing it.

I continued riding the indoor trainer this week.  I'm sticking to the low intensity recovery sessions - and plan to until I get fully released by the doctor.  The previous week, all my sessions were 30 minutes.  This week, I stuck (mostly) to the plan I mapped out, calling for me to substitute 45 minute sessions in for the sessions that would have been high intensity.

That said, my motivation wasn't great.  I skipped Wednesday (30 minutes), but did ride Thursday evening for 45 minutes.

I did have a bit more general pain this week than previously.  The pain in my chest, most noticeable when breathing full deep breaths was back and worse than last week, and my collar bone seemed to be a little more upset at me as well.  Based on the timing and the fact that I haven't done anything physically strenuous this week tells me that I'm probably sleeping on it wrong - or the indoor training is to blame.

I'm going with sleeping habits for now.

If it doesn't settle down soon, I'm going to reach out to the doctor and ask them what they think.  I hope that it's just general aches and pains from the fairly intense trauma from the crash, but it may be a good idea to get a more professional opinion if it keeps up.

I did re-watch the video of the crash.  Call it morbid, but I wanted to watch the actual event frame by frame to see how things went down.  I was also interested in the conversations.  I've considered transcribing it... maybe it's just my way of continually processing it.  Fun stuff...

This week was also interesting from a mental standpoint: it was the first time a sense of unreality set in - that feeling that "this didn't really happen to me, and I'll wake up completely back to normal."  It wasn't a deep feeling by any means, but it was there.  I'm not sure why it took so long to happen, but there you have it.

<-- Week Seven | Series | Week Nine -->

No comments:

Post a Comment