About Me

My photo
I’m a cycling fanatic in the information technology and security field with a bachelors in Social Welfare and a some training in the visual arts. I’m a son, a brother, a husband, and a father. I am good with my hands, still consider myself an artist, and could stand to lose a few pounds.

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Clavicle Break: Week 10 (August 25, 2018 - August 31, 2018)

Pain Level: 1
Discomfort: 1
Attire: Normal.
Sleeping: Bed.  Sleeping on my left side becoming possible.
Nutrition: Weight loss caloric intake, with supplements geared towards bone regrowth.
Mobility: Getting around normally, but still being careful.  Starting to use the left arm almost as much as the right.
Physical Therapy: 5lb range of motion exercises plus some additional strength related movements.

Pain and Discomfort


Pain and discomfort continued to decline this week. Saturday was a little rough, because that was the day we took Dawson to Kill Creek Park for his first Triathlon (which he completely rocked, by the way - holy COW that boy has a competitive streak!). There was lots of walking and moving around, and it took its toll. Still, it wasn't too bad, considering how bad it was just a few weeks previous.

There continues to be minor pain in other areas around my chest.  It's mainly on the left side (go figure).  Under my arm about midway down it's sometimes sore when I breathe deeply.  It also shows up under and around my left shoulder blade towards my spine.  That's diminished somewhat if I can stretch and pop my back with the right twists (which do not aggravate my clavicle anymore).  This could be simply post-event-trauma that's going to need time to work itself out, but if it persists until my X-ray appointment on 9/19, I'll ask about it.

I think it's worth noting is that, while the clavicle itself appears mostly fine, with only a hint of "stickiness" now and again, there is still some discomfort around the joint every now and again - on both ends of the bone, actually.  Again, if that persists, I'll mention it, and maybe go for an MRI to see if there's anything there.

Most promising is that there have been multiple times this week when I've gotten up to do something, and only after I've finished what I wanted to do (go to the break room for more coffee, go talk with someone, etc.) did it occur to me that my collar bone hadn't occurred to me.  There was no pain or weirdness to notice.  That's a great thing!

Physical Therapy


I started adding a couple of additional weighted exercises into my physical therapy.  I'm still sticking with 5lbs until the doc clears me, but I think it's safe to add some curls, and bent-over dumbell rows.  I also ramped up my leg exercises with lunges, squats, and deadlifts.  I started planning additional cycling specific strength training, in addition to the structured plan I'd already committed myself to.

I skipped Saturday and Sunday spins, but got back on the saddle Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Good rides, and productive.

Equipment


I got a new saddle to replace the one that snapped during The Event. I went from a Fizik Aliante R1 Versus Evo Large, to a Fizik Arione R3 Versus Evo Large. The Arione is designed for someone with a little more flexibility than the Aliante was, and the R3 means it has their k:ium rails, rather than carbon. I used their saddle fit wizard to find this one, where before I'd been winging it. I went with the R3 k:ium rails because I just didn't feel like messing with the carbon rails this time around.  It was an immediate comfortable fit.

<-- Week Nine | Series | Week Eleven -- >

No comments:

Post a Comment